Iâ€™ve had a few tasks since being here, including:
1. Rebuilding an old PC (I love the speed of a fresh XP install in the morning)
2. Retrieving data off a failed hard drive
3. Sorting out the wireless networking on the new FiOS net connection they have here
4. Sorting out a networking solution for my Dadâ€™s Skype enabled Panasonic Viera TV
5. Setting up the new Logitech HD camera and Vid we got my Dad for his birthday (theyâ€™re a client but I paid full â€“ well, Amazon â€“ price for a matched pair) so they can talk to their grandchild in HD when weâ€™re back in the UK. Iâ€™d use Skype but their HD certification is not very well entrenched with the manufacturers yet.
6. Setting up for remote access etc., so I can help them when things go wrong when Iâ€™m not here
7. Patching the hell out of all their software (thank you FileHippo)
Itâ€™s all gone fairly smoothly. Two points to note â€“ first, PC Expos absolutely SUCK in Malaysia. Rammed full of people, the one way system forces you to plough your way through a massive crowd for limited satisfaction. Incredibly badly designed thoroughfare that Iâ€™m sure violated every fire and health and safety regulation there is â€“ if such things were enforced in Malaysia.
Second, Powerlink networking really is the absolute simplest way of getting a big house online! I actually bought the kit to connect the Viera TV, which didnâ€™t come with built in wireless and requires a Netgear wireless adapter that no-one here stocks, but it could just as easily have been used as a range extender on a Wifi network (with a second AP) etc. Impressively simple stuff from the nice people at TP-Link, who Iâ€™d not heard of a few weeks ago but now seem well entrenched, both in the UK and here, as the budget networking solution of choice. With Linksys going Cisco-upmarket and 3Com doing the HP thing, I guess a few people had to take advantage at this end of the market.
Anyway, hopefully Iâ€™m done with fixing things (just need to figure out how to configure Viera-Skype), and can continue to focus on baby, family, my lovely wife and get started with the writing. And the fitness training. Crikey, Iâ€™m trying to fit a lot in!