A disappointing training day. With the broken treadmill my highly motivating wife suggested we go to a gym, and we found one in Celebrity Fitness, a chain of gyms with an outlet in Mid Valley Megamall, a 10 minute drive from the house and a building full of distractions for Amanda, Emily and Emilyâ€™s Grandpa, who volunteered as chauffeur and local guide.
First, we looked for a replacement treadmill. Limited progress was made with the actual dealer we wanted to visit, despite claiming to have an outlet in Mid Valley on their website, actually not so much existing. So it may be some time before we sort that out.
Letâ€™s start with the things that were good about the Celebrity Fitness experience.
1. They had good working treadmills
2. They had reasonable showers
And the bad:
1. Appalling customer service. I was shuttled back between the front desk and the customer service desk, not told where the changing rooms or equipment was, asked for my mobile number three times (â€œI donâ€™t have a local mobileâ€), and made to wait for 10 minutes whilst they registered my limited information for a day guest pass. Iâ€™d made reasonably clear that I wasnâ€™t going to join and just wanted a transactional relationship with them â€“ give me a pass, damnit! Eventually got in, having eaten into a short window of time I had for the workout.
2. Damnit it was hot. It must have been 30 degrees in there WITH the airconditioning going. The whole point for me in going to a gym was to avoid the blistering outdoor heat!
3. It cost RM60 â€“ about Â£12. An absolute rip-off for the experience.
4. There were no locks on the lockers (another fact they didnâ€™t apprise me of â€“ should I have just known? I told them I was from the UK, they could have given me a heads upâ€¦). Youâ€™re meant to bring your own, apparently, so kit stayed with me â€“ including during my shower. Fortunately I found a broom closet to stash my stuff in whilst I had the worldâ€™s quickest shower.
5. Crap water coolers, despite the heat.
Soâ€¦ not going back there. Will find another way to work out here. My mediocre run total for the day came to approx 5k in 33 minutes. Not a great time on a treadmill.
0n the plus side, whilst I continued to fail to find a foam roller, I did remember that Sudhir told me I could do the ITB workout with a tennis ball â€“ so will dig around the house for one of them instead!